Friday, June 12, 2009

Let's try that one again

Well, the silence after that post was rather deafening, wasn't it? I'll say as my excuse that the academic curriculum is rather demanding at Westminster and time didn't permit to really start blogging properly.

Now, however, I'm in the UK for the summer so I've really no excuse. I'll try to record my experiences here in brief form, with particular care given to observations about the state of Christianity and Presbyterianism here in the UK.

I just got in yesterday. The weather is beautiful here, clear and cool and bright. Whereas when I left southern California it was overcast. Irony, ladies and gentlemen? Quite possibly. The whole country is impossibly picturesque; imagine a major metropolitan motorway (in this case, the circular highway that serves as the border of London) with great wheat fields and herds of cattle and horses and wild deer on the side of the road and you've got a bit of the idea. The town streets here in Chelmsford (NE of London) are as mad, disorganized, and charming as one could hope for. One can pass by buildings from the 16th century and buildings from last year in a matter of minutes and (at least to the untrained eye) barely tell the difference.

The people are wonderful too, very kind to a colonial interloper.

I have nothing much to add at the moment. More when there's more.

6 comments:

EstherKW said...

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

-Esther

Unknown said...

Mad? You're already beginning to sound like a local. ;)

Peace,
~Tessa

Anonymous said...

so glad you've arrived safe and sound! i'm keeping your parking spot safe for you while you're away. can't wait to hear about your adventures, Ryan! E says "Hi Wyan".

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you arrived safely? How was the flight? Are you getting over jetlag easily?

So I hear they have really good Indian food over there... you are now on official duty to confirm this. :)

Anonymous said...

A Londoner has a less comprehensive view of extremes of weather than someone from the Middle West of America. What a Briton calls a blizzard would, in Illinois or Nebraska, be a flurry, and a British heat wave is often a thing of merriment to much of the rest of the world. (I still treasure a London newspaper with the banner headline: BRITAIN SIZZLES IN THE SEVENTIES!)

(Bill Bryson, "The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way")

(I just started reading that about 10 minutes ago and immediately thought of this post and had to share.)

Enjoy the weather, irony or no! Looking forward to reading your reports.

Nerio Jove said...

Be sure to wear red, white, AND blue on July 4th. Talk with a Southern accent just for good measure.